Church House Barn is a recently converted Grade II listed stone and timber barn. The principal construction dates from the 17th Century and is built on the ramparts of the old settlement of Richards Castle, approximately 2 miles south of Ludlow.
The barn is situated in the old grounds of Church House adjacent to the church of St Bartholomew and the remains of Richards Castle. The castle is an old Motte and Bailey fortification which is believed to have been founded in 1050 by Lord Richard Fitz Scrob, one of several Norman Lords who were granted estates in the Marches by Edward The Confessor. Much of the stonework of the barn is thought to have been plundered from the castle remains.
The barn is situated along a very quiet lane leading to Hanway Common and The Mortimer Forest. There are direct links to The Shropshire Way and The Mortimer Trail providing a network of walks and rambles. The village pub is just half a mile away.